Who Do I Contact About Making Changes?

If you are considering making changes to your home, this page details who you should contact.

In the event that you start thinking about making changes to your home, you will most likely need to apply for planning permission. The organisation you need to contact changes depending on the circumstances of your project.

The local authority

Your local authority will have a planning department which is responsible for granting or denying planning permission, listed building consent, or conservation area consent.

Always contact your local authority first when you decide to make changes to your home. They will be able to provide advice before and during the process of your application.

Local authorities consult Historic England on some planning, listed building and conservation area applications which usually relate to Grade I and Grade II listed buildings.

Conservation officer

Conservation officers are employed by most local authorities. They offer specialist advice on not only planning applications but also a range of other matters which are relevant to historic buildings and conservation areas. If you are the owner of an older home, your conservation officer is a good contact to have.

Your conservation officer is on hand to answer any queries you have on a range of subjects, including the likelihood of your planned project requiring additional consent. They will also be able to guide you through the types of work which would be most appropriate for your home and its surroundings.

When you begin planning work on your home, it's wise to speak with the local planning authority at the earliest opportunity. You can reach your conservation officer by contacting your local council.

County archaeologist

Local planning authorities are advised by county archaeologists regarding the implications of property development tenders.

You should contact your county archaeologist at the earliest stage of the development of your proposal if you have any inkling that the work may affect the archaeology of your land. They will be able to discuss how any issues should be dealt with.

Alternative sources of assistance

In the event that you plan to make changes to your period or listed property, there are a number of societies which specialise in issues surrounding properties dating back to different periods. You may wish to contact them for guidance through a variety of issues.

Contact The Ancient Monuments Society for advice regarding:

  • ancient monuments
  • historic buildings of all ages and types
  • identified examples of old craftsmanship

Contact The Council for British Archaeology for assistance on:

  • historic buildings
  • subterranean and standing structures

Get in touch with The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings to discuss buildings dating prior to 1700 and conservation.

The Georgian Group is concerned with architecture from 1700 to 1840.

The Victorian Society is involved in Victorian and Edwardian architecture dating from between 1840 and 1914.

Finally, the Twentieth Century Society specialises in architecture from 1914 onwards.